Rainbow Trout Characteristics:
- Mild to moderate, delicate flavor
- Pinkish orange flesh
- High-quality protein
- Excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Excellent source of vitamin B12
- Source of phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, zinc, selenium, and iron
- Raised and handled with care
- Trout is as high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids as Salmon, but with a milder taste.
The WHO recommends that adults’ intake 250mg of Omega 3 Fatty Acids per day.
- The American Heart Association recommends eating fish twice per week to protect your heart.
- Being high in B12 and Omega 3 Trout is the perfect food to prevent the loss of neurons and prevent dementia.
- About 2 ounces of trout on average contains 77% of the recommended daily intake of B12.
- B12 is known as a mood booster, and can reduce your risk of eye degeneration and osteoporosis.
- Niacin helps your body turn food into energy, and is known to lower cholesterol and ease arthritis.
Hamilton’s Fish Farm is a family-owned and operated fully-licensed fish farm located in Centrelea, Nova Scotia – in the heart of the beautiful and bountiful Annapolis Valley. Their farm is 100% land-based, allowing them to contain waste so it doesn’t pollute local waterways or the ocean. They use a recirculation aquaculture system, specifically designed to minimize water use and keep the fish healthy and free of disease.
Why Land-based Recirculation Aquaculture?
- Fish waste is captured and does not end up in the marine environment
- It minimizes water use by recirculating it through our system
- Using ground water rather than surface water or the ocean helps us to: 1) minimize the risk of introducing disease to our fish, and 2) maintain high growth rates because our water temperature stays higher during the winter months
- We can control the water quality in our system (i.e. cleanliness, temperature, oxygen levels) and can make sure the conditions are optimized for trout growth & development
- We work every day to improve the efficiency and sustainability of our system. For example, we test the water quality daily in an effort to be the best possible; all packaging is recyclable; we are working towards 100% recirculation of the water (so the water is 100% reused, instead of extracting more ground water)