What you’ll need:
- 1 pound fresh skinless halibut fillet, cut into half-inch cubes or halibut cheeks!
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup lime juice (from about 6 limes)
- 2 Serrano or jalapeño peppers, halved, seeded and finely chopped if you want to add some heat. (wear latex gloves if you have them. at the very least don’t rub your eyes like I always do…) (optional)
- 1 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for sprinkling
- diced red/orange/yellow bell peppers
- Place the halibut in a nonreactive bowl. Season with salt. Add 1/2 cup lime juice to bowl, toss again, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine the peppers, shallots, cilantro and remaining 1/2 cup lime juice in a nonreactive bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, whisk olive oil into shallot mixture. Pourover the halibut mixture , toss and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- sprinkle with cilantro.
Delicious served with tortilla chips or you could make tostadas by cutting fresh corn tortillas into triangles and baking with a pinch of salt.